Mental Health Step Up/Step Down Service – Geraldton
2 Larkin Street, Geraldton WA 6530
Admin hours: M-F, 8:30am - 5:00pm
(closed on public holidays)
Sarah Ellis | Service Manager
Phone08 6323 8980
MessageSend an online message
The Mental Health Step Up/Step Down Service – Geraldton provides short-term residential mental health support for people who are either becoming unwell and at risk of being admitted to hospital (‘step up’ support) or leaving hospital but in need of extra support to transition back into the community (‘step down’ support).
The service offers a safe and supportive space to reduce distress and promote recovery. Our 10-bed centre offers 24-hour support. Consumers have access to a range of group and individual programs to build their confidence and skills, develop a sense of meaning and purpose, identify personal goals, and develop their own wellbeing plan.
The service is available to people living in the Midwest region. It is not a replacement for acute inpatient care but an option that can prevent the need for hospitalisation when people are aware that they are becoming unwell. The maximum length of stay is 28 days.
- Bush tucker and vegetable garden
- Recreation room for crafts and games
- Communal and quiet areas
- Outdoor BBQ area and netball/basketball court
- Communal kitchen
- Individual units with laundry facilities and ensuite bathrooms
Our team works with consumers to reduce distress and avoid admission or re-admission to acute inpatient hospital care. We work with people in the following areas:
- Assessing immediate and long-term needs.
- Monitoring safety and wellbeing.
- Developing a relapse prevention plan.
- Liaising with clinical services, carers and the community.
- Referring to community supports upon leaving.
- Developing exit plans and facilitating family involvement where appropriate.
- Maintaining wellness and overall health.
Health Matters program
The Health Matters Program is a group program which helps people to improve their wellbeing. Health Matters considers the balance of social, emotional, mental, physical and spiritual needs. It provides tools to help set priorities and work towards progress in people’s chosen areas.
The service provides support for people who:
- Are aged 16 years and over (those aged 16-17 years may require additional consent).
- Are primarily experiencing a mental health challenge.
- Are able to engage cooperatively in a group setting and willing to participate in the programs offered.
- Are not currently experiencing homelessness.
Referrals can be made directly to the service by anyone in the community. This includes self-referrals or referrals from community and health professionals with the consent of the individual. There are two referral pathways:
- If you would like to self-refer or refer a family member, please contact the service directly on 08 6323 8980 or at Geraldton.SUSD.Referral@neaminational.org.au
- If you are a community or health professional seeking to refer a client, please download and fill in the referral form below, and return it to Geraldton.SUSD.Referral@neaminational.org.au
Part of the referral process also requires individuals to be available for an assessment prior to placement.
Working in partnership
The Geraldton Step Up/ Step Down Service is a Neami National service funded by the WA Mental Health Commission and delivered in partnership with the WA Country Health Service and Hope Community Services.