External agencies and regulators

All consumers and carers have the right to make a complaint about Neami to external agencies and regulators.


The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission

The Commission promotes competition and fair trade in markets to benefit consumers, businesses and the community.

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Commission is an independent organisation that works to protect and promote the basic human rights and freedoms that all humans are entitled to.

L3, 175 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000 Directions
Write to: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
National Mental Health Care Commission

The Commission acts to protect public health and safety by dealing with complaints about mental health service providers. 

L29, 126 Phillip St, Sydney NSW 2000 Directions
Write to: PO Box R1463, Royal Exchange NSW 1225
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner

The Commissioner has complaint handling responsibilities under the Privacy Act 1988. Individuals can complain if they believe their privacy has been interfered with by an government agency or a private sector organisation covered by the Act.  

Write to: GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001 or GPO Box 2999, Canberra ACT 2601
Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Agency

This agency assists with investigating concerns about registered health practitioners, such as doctors, nurses, and allied health professionals.

Write to: AHPRA, GPO Box 9958, Melbourne VIC 3001
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care

The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care contributes to better health outcomes and experiences for all patients and consumers.

New South Wales

NSW Fair Trading

If you have not been able to resolve your problem with Neami, you can lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading. 

Mail: PO Box 972, Parramatta NSW 2124 Directions
Ombudsman NSW

You can make a complaint about Neami by accessing the details below. 

L24, 580 George St, Sydney NSW 2000 Directions
Health Care Complaints Commission

The Commission’s Inquiry Service handles inquiries from people who are concerned about the quality of the health care provided to them or to a family member or friend. The service also responds to questions from health service providers in relation to complaints. 

L13, 323 Castlereagh St (corner of Hay St), Sydney NSW 2000 Directions
NSW Department of Health
73 Miller St, North Sydney NSW 2060 Directions
NSW Consumer Advisory Group – Mental Health Inc.
Suite 501, L5, 80 Williams St, East Sydney NSW 2011 Directions
NSW Legal Aid
323 Castlereagh St, Haymarket NSW 2000 Directions
Mental Health Advocacy Service

This service is a part of Legal Aid NSW and provides legal help and advice about mental health matters. 

L4, 74-76 Burwood Rd, Burwood NSW 2134 Directions

Northern Territory

Health and Community Services Complaints Commission
4th Floor, NT House
22 Mitchell Street
DARWIN, NT 0800 Directions
Additional info


Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian

The Commission can deal with complaints about any government or non-government service provided (or not being provided) to children and young people in the child safety and/or youth justice systems. 

Text: 0418 740 186
L17, 53 Albert St, Brisbane, QLD 4000 Directions
Write to: PO Box 15217, Brisbane City East, QLD 4002 
Queensland Ombudsman

The Ombudsman handles complaints about decisions of Queensland Government agencies and local councils. The Queensland Ombudsman aims to ensure public agencies act fairly and make the right decisions for Queenslanders. It is an independent agency that can take action if a decision is unlawful, unfair, unreasonable or wrong. 

Level 17, 53 Albert Street, 
Brisbane, QLD Directions
Write to: GPO Box 3314, Brisbane, QLD 4001 
The Health Quality and Complaints Commission

The Health Quality and Complaints Commission is an independent organisation dedicated to improving the safety and quality of healthcare in Queensland. 

L17, 53 Albert St, Brisbane, QLD 4000 Directions
Write to: GPO Box 3123, Brisbane, QLD 4001
Queensland Health

Anybody can make a complaint about any service offered by Queensland Health. In some circumstances a relative, carer or friend of a consumer may make a complaint. A compliant can also be made by a consumer group or advocate. 

Queensland Health Building, 147-163 Charlotte St, Brisbane, QLD 4000 Directions
Write to: GPO Box 48, Brisbane, QLD 4001
Office of the Information Commissioner
L8, 160 Mary St, Brisbane, QLD 4000 Directions
Write to: PO Box 10143, Adelaide St, Brisbane, QLD 4000
Queensland Advocacy for Inclusion

An advocacy service that has mental health advocacy services.

2nd Floor, South Central, 43 Peel St, South Brisbane, QLD 4101 Directions
Queensland Alliance for Mental Health
433 Logan Road Stones Corner, QLD, 4120 Directions

South Australia

Ombudsman SA

A complaint can be made about any action or inaction by an agency within the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction. 

L5, East Wing, 50 Grenfell St, Adelaide, SA 5000 Directions
Write to: PO Box 3651, Rundle Mall SA 5000
Health and Community Services Complaint Commissioner

A complaint may be made about a public, private or non-government health or community service or provider. 

L4, East Wing, 50 Grenfell St, Adelaide SA 5000 Directions
Write to: PO Box 199, Rundle Mall SA 5000
SA Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)
L7, ABC Building, 85 North East Rd, Collinswood SA 5081 Directions
Office of the Chief Psychiatrist SA
Dr Margaret Honeyman
L1, 12 Pirie St, Adelaide, SA 5000 Directions
Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Inc.
TTY: 08 8297 4144
470 Marion Rd, Plympton Park, SA 5031 Directions
Carers SA
58 King Williams Rd, Goodwood, SA 5034 Directions


Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent, specialist body established under the Mental Health Act 2014 to safeguard rights, resolve complaints about Victorian public mental health services and recommend improvements.  

L26, 570 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000 Directions
Consumer Affairs Victoria

They can only act on a particular dispute if a formal complaint is made. They advise and assist both consumers and businesses; however, they can only accept a formal complaint about a business or landlord, not a consumer or tenant. 

Write to: GPO Box 4567, Melbourne VIC 3001
Victorian Ombudsman

You can complain to the Victorian Ombudsman if you are unhappy about the way you’ve been treated by: 

  • a state government department 
  • a specified entity, including a range of statutory authorities 
  • an Administrative Office 
  • a local council 
  • a private agency that carries out statutory responsibilities of government. 
L9, North Tower, 459 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000 Directions
Health Services Commissioner Victoria

The Health Services Commissioner (HSC) is an independent statutory authority established to receive and resolve complaints about health service providers. The HSC also handles complaints about disclosure of health information and access to health information. 

30th Floor, 570 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000 Directions
Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)

Regulates how Victorian government agencies and local councils handle personal information. 

Bdg 1, 22 Aintree St, Brunswick East VIC 3057 Directions
Chief Psychiatrist Victoria

The Chief Psychiatrist has responsibility under the Mental Health Act 1986 for the medical care and welfare of persons receiving treatment or care for a mental illness.

03 9096 7697 Directions
L17, 50 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000 Directions
Mental Health Legal Centre

Free and confidential telephone advice is available on the above numbers during the following times: Tuesday and Thursday, 6.30pm 8.30pm. 

Bdg 97, RMIT, 106-108 Victoria St, Carlton VIC 3053 Directions
Write to: PO Box 12365, A’Beckett St, Melbourne VIC 8006
The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
TTY: 1300 289 621
L3, 204 Lygon St, Carlton VIC 3053 Directions

Western Australia

The Health and Disability Services Complaints Office

This in an independent and impartial agency.  If you cannot resolve your complaint directly with the service provider, you can contact HaDSCO to discuss your concerns and find out more about the complaints resolution services they offer. All their services are confidential and free of charge.

Albert Facey House, 469 Wellington St, Perth WA 6000 Directions
Write to: PO Box B61, Perth WA 6838
WA Ombudsman

The Ombudsman investigates complaints about Western Australian public authorities including State Government departments, agencies and boards, government services such as hospitals, prisons, schools and technical colleges, public universities and local governments. 

L2, Albert Facey House, 469 Wellington St, Perth WA 6000 Directions
Write to: Ombudsman Western Australia, PO Box Z5386, St Georges Tce, Perth WA 6831
Equal Opportunity Commission

The EOC provides a means of redress to individuals who allege unlawful discrimination. Since the Equal Opportunity Act was proclaimed 25 years ago, in 1985, the Equal Opportunity Commission has received more than 131,700 enquiries and handled nearly 12,000 complaints. 

L2, Westralia Square, 141 St George Tce, Perth WA 6000 Directions
Write to: PO Box 7370, Cloisters Square, Perth WA 6850
Mental Health Tribunal

The Mental Health Tribunal is an independent decision-making body established by the Mental Health Act 2014 (WA) to safeguard the rights of involuntary patients in Western Australia. 

Write to: Mental Health Tribunal, PO Box Z5272, Perth St Georges Tce WA 6831
Western Australia Association for Mental Health
City West Lotteries House, 2 Delhi St, West Perth WA 6005 Directions
Chief Psychiatrist Western Australia
Dr Nathan Gibson
Write to: GPO Box A5, Perth Business Hub WA 6849
WA Mental Health Advocates and Consumers Agency
Mr Prescott Harper
Write to: PO Box 33, Kelmscott WA 6111
Helping Minds (Carer Advocates)
Carer Centre, 182-188 Lord St, Perth WA 6000 Directions
Mental Health Law Centre
96-98 Parry St, Perth WA 6000 Directions
Office of the Public Advocate
L1, 30 Terrace Rd, East Perth WA 6004 Directions
Are you (or anyone you know) in a crisis and need immediate help?
Emergency ambulance, fire or police
24 hr crisis support & suicide prevention