Consumer complaints and advocacy

There are a number of organisations covering consumer complaints and advocacy.


Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian

The Commission can deal with complaints about any government or non-government service provided (or not being provided) to children and young people in the child safety and/or youth justice systems.

Phone: (07) 3211 6700 
Free call: 1800 688 275 
Text: 0418 740 186 
Address: Level 17, 53 Albert Street, Brisbane, QLD (Phone ahead for an appointment.) 
Write to: PO Box 15217, BRISBANE CITY EAST, QLD 4002 

Queensland Ombudsman

The Ombudsman handles complaints about decisions of Queensland Government agencies and local councils. The Queensland Ombudsman aims to ensure public agencies act fairly and make the right decisions for Queenslanders. It is an independent agency that can take action if a decision is unlawful, unfair, unreasonable or wrong.

Phone: (07) 3005 7000 
Toll free: 1800 068 908 
Address: Level 17, 53 Albert Street, Brisbane, QLD (Phone ahead for an appointment) 
Write to: GPO Box 3314, BRISBANE QLD 4001 

The Health Quality and Complaints Commission

The Health Quality and Complaints Commission is an independent organisation dedicated to improving the safety and quality of healthcare in Queensland.

Phone: (07) 3120 5999 
Free call: 1800 077 308 
Address: Level 17, 53 Albert Street, Brisbane, QLD (Phone ahead for an appointment.) 
Write to: GPO Box 3123, BRISBANE QLD 4001 

Queensland Health

Anybody can make a complaint about any service offered by Queensland Health. In some circumstances a relative, carer or friend of a consumer may make a complaint. A compliant can also be made by a consumer group or advocate.

Phone: 07 3234 0111 
Address: Queensland Health Building, 147-163 Charlotte Street, Brisbane Queensland 4000 Australia 
Write to: GPO Box 48 Brisbane, Queensland 4001 Australia 

Health Quality and Complaints Commission

Works with healthcare providers, consumers and other organisations to improve the safety and quality of health services in Queensland.

Phone: 07 3120 5999 
Free call: 1800 077 308 
Address: Health Quality and Complaints Commission, Level 17, 53 Albert Street, Brisbane QLD 4000 
Write to: Health Quality and Complaints Commission, GPO Box 3089, Brisbane QLD 4001 

Office of the Information Commissioner

Generally speaking, the privacy principles apply to all Queensland government agencies including Departments, public authorities and local government.

Phone: (07) 3234 7373 
Address: Level 8, 160 Mary Street, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Write to: PO Box 10143, Adelaide Street, Brisbane, Queensland, 4000 

Queensland Advocacy Inc. – Mental Health Legal Service

2nd Floor, South Central, 43 Peel Street South Brisbane, Qld, 4101

Phone: (07) 3844 4200 

Mental Health Association Queensland

473 Annerley Road Annerley, Qld, 4103

Phone: 1300 729 686 

Arafemi Queensland

237 Kent Street
New Farm, Qld, 4005

Phone: (07) 3254 1811
Toll Free: 1800 251881 


NSW Fair Trading

If you have not been able to resolve your problem with the company, you can lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading.

Address: NSW Fair Trading, PO Box 972, Parramatta 2124
Phone: 13 32 20

Ombudsman NSW

You can make a complaint about a provider of the services by accessing the details below.

Phone: 02 9286 1000
Toll free: 1800 451 524
Address: Level 24, 580 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Online Complaint Form:

Health Care Complaints Commission

The Commission’s Inquiry Service handles inquiries from people who are concerned about the quality of the health care provided to them or to a family member or friend. The service also responds to questions from health service providers in relation to complaints.

Phone: 02 9219 7444
Toll Free in NSW: 1800 043 159
Address: Level 13, 323 Castlereagh Street (corner of Hay St), SYDNEY NSW 2000

N.S.W. Department of Health

73 Miller Street North Sydney NSW 2060

Phone: (02) 9391 9000
TTY: 133 677, then ask for 02 9391 9000

N.S.W. Consumer Advisory Group – Mental Health Inc.

Suite 501, Level 5, 80 Williams Street East Sydney NSW 2011

Phone: (02) 9332 0200

N.S.W. Legal Aid (Head Office)

323 Castlereagh Street Haymarket NSW 2000

Phone: (02) 9219 5000

Mental Health Advocacy Service

This service is a part of Legal Aid NSW and provides legal help and advice about mental health matters.

Level 4, 74-76 Burwood Road, Burwood, NSW, 2134

Phone: (02) 9475 4277


Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC) is an independent, specialist body established under the Mental Health Act 2014 to safeguard rights, resolve complaints about Victorian public mental health services and recommend improvements. 

Phone: 1800 246 054 
Write to: Level 26, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne  VIC  3000

Consumer Affairs Victoria

They can only act on a particular dispute if a formal complaint is made. They advise and assist both consumers and businesses; however, they can only accept a formal complaint about a business or landlord, not a consumer or tenant.

Phone: 1300 55 81 81
Write to: Consumer Affairs Victoria, GPO Box 4567, Melbourne VIC 3001

Victorian Ombudsman

You can complain to the Victorian Ombudsman if you are unhappy about the way you have been treated by:

  • A state government department
  • A specified entity, including a range of statutory authorities
  • An Administrative Office
  • A local council
  • A private agency that carries out statutory responsibilities of government

Phone: (03) 9613 6222
Toll free: 1800 806 314
Address: Level 9, North Tower, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Health Services Commissioner Victoria

The Health Services Commissioner (HSC) is an independent statutory authority established to receive and resolve complaints about health service providers. The HSC also handles complaints about disclosure of health information and access to health information.

Phone: (03) 9032 3111
Toll Free: 1300 582 113
Address: 30th Floor, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 3000, Victoria, Australia
Write to: Health Services Commissioner, 30th Floor, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne 3000, Victoria, Australia

Privacy Victoria

Regulates how Victorian government agencies and local councils handle personal information.

Phone: 1300 666 444
Address: Level 11, 10-16 Queen Street, Melbourne Victoria 3000, Australia

Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)

Building 1 / 22 Aintree Street Brunswick East VIC 3057
Phone: (03) 9380 3900


Chief Psychiatrist Victoria

The Chief Psychiatrist has responsibility under the Mental Health Act 1986 for the medical care and welfare of persons receiving treatment or care for a mental illness.

Dr Mark Oakley Browne
Address: Level 17, 50 Lonsdale Street Melbourne Vic 3000
Toll free: 1300 767 299 (local call cost from anywhere within Australia)
Phone: (03) 9096 7571
Fax: (03) 9096 7697

Mental Health Legal Centre

Free and confidential telephone advice is available on the above numbers during the following times: Tuesday and Thursday, 6:30pm - 8:30pm

Address: Building 97, RMIT, 106-108 Victoria Street, Carlton, Victoria, 3053
Write to: PO Box 12365, A'Beckett Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 8006
Phone: (03) 9629 4422
Fax: (03) 9614 0488

Arafemi Vic (Carer Advocates)

270 Auburn Road Hawthorn, Vic, 3122
Phone: (03) 9810 9300
Fax: (03) 9810 9399
Carer Helpline: 1300 550 265

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

Level 3, 204 Lygon Street Carlton, Vic, 3053.

Phone: 1300 891 848
TTY: 1300 289 621


Ombudsman S.A.

A complaint can be made about any action or inaction by an agency within the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction.

Phone: 08 8226 8699
Toll free: 1800 182 150 (outside metro SA only)
Address: Level 5, East Wing, 50 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, S.A., 5000
Write to: PO Box 3651 Rundle Mall SA 5000

Health and Community Services Complaint Commissioner

A complaint may be made about a public, private or non-government health or community service or provider.

Phone: 08 8226 8666
Toll free: 1800 232 007
Address: Level 4, East Wing, 50 Grenfell Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Write to: PO Box 199 Rundle Mall SA 5000

S.A. Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)

Level 7, ABC Building, 85 North East Road, Collinswood, S.A., 5081

Phone: (08) 8342 8200 or Toll Free: 1800 066 969

Office of the Chief Psychiatrist S.A.

Dr Margaret Honeyman
P.O. Box 287, Rundle Mall, Adelaide, S.A., 5000
Phone: (08) 8226 1091

S.A. Health Consumer Alliance

Level 1, 12 Pirie Street, Adelaide, S.A., 5000
Phone: (08) 8231 4169

Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Inc.

470 Marion Road, Plympton Park, S.A., 5031

Phone: (08) 8297 3500 or Toll Free: 1800 088 325
TTY: (08) 8297 4144

Arafemi S.A. (Carer Advocates)

P.O. Box 310, Marleston, S.A., 5166

Phone: (08) 8221 5166

Carers S.A.

58 King Williams Road, Goodwood S.A. 5034
Phone: (08) 8271 6288 or Toll Free: 1800 815 549


The Health and Disability Services Complaints Office

This in an independent and impartial agency.  If you cannot resolve your complaint directly with the service provider, you can contact HaDSCO to discuss your concerns and find out more about the complaints resolution services they offer. All their services are confidential and free of charge.

Phone: (08) 6551 7600
Toll free: 1800 813 583
Address: Albert Facey House, 469 Wellington Street, Perth, W.A., 6000
Write to: PO Box B61, Perth 6000, Perth, W.A., 6838

W.A. Ombudsman

The Ombudsman investigates complaints about Western Australian public authorities including: State Government departments, agencies and boards; government services such as hospitals, prisons, schools and technical colleges; public universities and; local governments.

Phone: 08 9220 7555
Toll free: 1800 117 000
Address: Level 2, Albert Facey House, 469 Wellington Street, PERTH, W.A., 6000
Write to: Ombudsman Western Australia, PO Box Z5386, St Georges Terrace, PERTH, W.A., 6831

Equal Opportunity Commission

The EOC provides a means of redress to individuals who allege unlawful discrimination. Since the Equal Opportunity Act was proclaimed 25 years ago, in 1985, the Equal Opportunity Commission has received more than 131,700 enquiries and handled nearly 12,000 complaints.

Phone: 08 9216 3900
Toll free: 1800 198149
Address: Level 2, Westralia Square, 141 St George Terrace, Perth, W.A., 6000
Write to: PO Box 7370, Cloisters Square, Perth, W.A., 6850

Mental Health Tribunal

The Mental Health Tribunal is an independent decision-making body established by the Mental Health Act 2014 (WA) to safeguard the rights of involuntary patients in Western Australia.

Phone: (08) 6145 3900
Write to: Mental Health Tribunal, PO Box Z5272, Perth St Georges Tce WA 6831

Western Australia Association for Mental Health

City West Lotteries House, 2 Delhi Street, West Perth, W.A., 6005

Phone: (08) 6553 0060

Chief Psychiatrist Western Australia

Dr Nathan Gibson
Office of the Chief Psychiatrist
GPO Box A5 Perth Business Hub WA 6849
Phone: (08) 6553 0000

W.A. Mental Health Advocates and Consumers Agency

P.O. Box 33, Kelmscott, W.A., 6111
Phone: 0404 101 720 (Mr Prescott Harper)

Helping Minds (Carer Advocates)

Carer Centre, 182-188 Lord Street, Perth, W.A, 6000
Phone: (08) 9427 7100

Mental Health Law Centre

96-98 Parry Street, Perth, W.A, 6000

Phone: (08) 9328 8266

Office of the Public Advocate

Level 1, 30 Terrace Road, East Perth, W.A, 6004

Phone: (08) 9278 7300
Toll Free: 1300 858 455


The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission

The Commission promotes competition and fair trade in markets to benefit consumers, businesses, and the community their primary responsibility is to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with Australian competition, fair trading, and consumer protection laws - in particular the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

Phone: 1300 302 502
Address: See link for nearest location
Write to: See link for nearest postal location

Australian Human Rights Commission

The Commission is an independent organisation that works to protect and promote the basic human rights and freedoms that all humans are entitled to.

Phone: 1300 656 419
Address: Level 3, 175 Pitt Street, SYDNEY, N.S.W., 2000
Write to: GPO Box 5218, SYDNEY, N.S.W., 2001

National Mental Health Care Commission

The Commission acts to protect public health and safety by dealing with complaints about mental health service providers.

Phone: (02) 8229 7550
Address: Level 29, 126 Phillip Street, Sydney, 2000
Write to: PO Box R1463, Royal Exchange NSW 1225

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner

The Commissioner has complaint handling responsibilities under the Privacy Act 1988. Individuals can complain if they believe their privacy has been interfered with by an Australian or ACT government agency, or a private sector organisation covered by the Act. The information in this section tells you how to make a complaint, and explains the complaints process generally.

Phone: 1300 363 992
Write to: GPO Box 5218, Sydney, N.S.W., 2001 or GPO Box 2999 Canberra, A.C.T., 2601

Australian Health Practitioner Regulatory Agency

This agency works with complaint entities in each State and Territory to make sure the appropriate organisation investigates community concerns about registered health practitioners.

Phone: 1300 419 495
Address: See link provided for nearest office location:
Write to: AHPRA, GPO Box 9958, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Department Of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs

The Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) exists to support the Government and, through Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries, to deliver on a broad range of social policy outcomes.

Phone: 1800 634 035
Write to: FaHCSIA Feedback, PO Box 7576, Canberra Business Centre, A.C.T., 2610