The Way Back Support Service – Western Sydney
Unit 29, 20 Tucks Road, Seven Hills, NSW 2147
8 am - 5 pm
Closed public holidays
Katie OMeara | Manager
The Way Back Support Service – Western Sydney is an aftercare service for people who have attempted suicide or experienced a suicidal crisis. It provides non-clinical care and practical support for up to three months.
The program uses an assertive model of care where a Community Care Coordinator is responsible for maintaining contact with the person who has attempted suicide or experienced a suicidal crisis. Community Care Coordinators provide motivational support to help reduce distress, build connections in the community and engage consumers with other services.
The program is personalised to meet individual needs and can include everything from help to build a personal safety plan to referrals to community-based services such as financial or relationship counselling, or support accessing clinical care during elevated periods of risk. Support can be provided face-to-face or over the phone.
Eligibility and referrals
The service supports people aged 15 years and over following a suicide attempt or suicidal crisis. To be eligible, a person must:
- Be referred to the service after presenting to a hospital emergency department or community mental health service in the Western Sydney LHD following a suicide attempt.
- Be referred to the service after presenting to a hospital emergency department or community mental health service in the Western Sydney LHD while in or following a suicidal crisis.
- Be at imminent risk of suicide.
Referrals can be made through the hospitals’ The Way Back Project Officers or treating clinicians.
Contact the service for more information.
Working in partnership
The Way Back service model was developed by Beyond Blue. Visit the Beyond Blue website to find out more about the service model.
The Way Back Support Service is not a crisis service. People requiring immediate help should call:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800