At our step-up step-down services, we work with you to help avoid admission or re-admission to hospital or acute care, by providing support to:
- Reduce psychological distress
- Assess your immediate and long-term needs
- Monitor your safety and wellbeing
- Develop a relapse prevention plan
- Connect with clinical services, carers and community supports
- Develop exit plans and facilitate family involvement where appropriate
The service is not a replacement for acute inpatient care but an option that can prevent the need for hospitalisation when becoming unwell. This can often prevent acute episodes, hospitalisation and higher level trauma.
For people leaving hospital, through step-up step-down services we provide a supportive and understanding environment that assists in:
- developing daily coping skills
- managing symptoms and medication
- re-connecting with the community and support networks
- maintaining wellness and overall health
The site-based and outreach support usually involves a short stay of up to 4 weeks, generally less, in shared accommodation with 24-hour on-site staff and a balance between structured activities and downtime.