Launch of The Way Back – support following a suicide attempt
Neami has launched a new innovative suicide prevention service in the Casey region.
The Way Back support service celebrated its launch in the Sensory Garden at Casey Hospital earlier this month.
The Way Back is a Beyond Blue suicide prevention initiative and Neami has been funded by the South Eastern Melbourne PHN to provide non-clinical and practical support to people discharged from Casey Hospital after trying to take their own lives.
In the three months following an attempted suicide, people are most at risk of dying by suicide. The Way Back service aims to prevent further self-harm by providing proactive and coordinated support for up to three months following discharge by:
- Maintaining contact and providing encouragement and support
- Encouraging the use of hospital discharge plans and safety plans
- Supporting attendance at medical and allied health appointments
- Facilitating access to a range of community support services (e.g. Relationships Australia, community housing, etc.)
- Assisting clients to connect with support networks (e.g. Men’s Shed)
Attending the launch were representatives from Beyond Blue, Monash Health, South East Melbourne PHN, as well as Neami staff.
You can read more about the program on the PHN website.