Far West Mental Health Recovery Centre (Broken Hill)
Old War Vets Rd, Thomas St Entrance, Broken Hill NSW 2880
Monday - Friday
9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Chelsea Edwards | Manager
The Far West Mental Health Recovery Centre is a short-term support service for people who are at risk of requiring hospital treatment for mental illness, or who are leaving hospital and require additional support to transition back into the community and avoid relapse.
The service is not a replacement for acute inpatient care but an option that can prevent the need for hospitalisation when people are aware they are becoming unwell.
We are a 10 bed centre offering 24-hour support and a range of individual and group rehabilitation and recovery programs.
Clinical supports and treatment are available onsite as required.
The service is run by a multi-disciplinary team of community support workers, including people with an experience of mental health recovery.
The average stay is 2-6 weeks. Each person is assessed and monitored during that time.
We work with you to reduce distress from mental illness and to avoid admission or re-admission to acute inpatient hospital care.
We support you in the following areas:
- Assessing your immediate and long-term needs
- Monitoring your safety and wellbeing
- Developing a relapse prevention plan
- Liaising with clinical services, carers and the community
- Referring to community supports upon leaving
- Developing exit plans and facilitating family involvement where appropriate
The main group program we provide is the Optimal Health Program, which focuses on:
- Recognising symptoms
- Monitoring early warning signs
- Developing an action plan to support
- Daily coping skills managing symptoms and medication
- Relapse prevention
- Understanding stress, vulnerability and coping
- Maintaining wellness and overall health
The Optimal Health Program begins in a group setting but recognises that recovery is an individual process. Staff assist you to meet your personal goals.
To be eligible for Neami Broken Hill you must be:
- Aged 18-64 and eligible for mental health or drug and alcohol services in the Far West Local Health District. (Other ages are considered based on individual circumstances.)
- Able to cooperatively engage in a group setting and willing to participate in the Optimal Health Program
- Not using illicit substances/drugs or alcohol during your time with the service
- Have a fixed address or permanent place of residence
You must also be:
- Exhibiting early warning signs of acute illness and requiring increased support and treatment to prevent hospital admission OR
- Requiring additional support following an acute inpatient admission to support a transition back into the community
Referrals can be made directly to Neami Broken Hill or via the Far West Local Health District Senior Clinician.
Assessment for entry into the service is conducted by Neami Broken Hill staff together with Far West Local Health District staff.
All referrals will be considered based on the eligibility criteria. Feedback on the outcome will be provided in a reasonable time.